PTC Integrates ThingWorx With Microsoft Dynamics 365 to Enable Improved Field Service
New Connector Has Ability to Improve First-Time Fix Rates by Empowering Field Technicians With Critical Information From IoT and MR Sources
ThingWorx is PTC’s Industrial Innovation Platform that integrates Microsoft Azure IoT capabilities. The new connector for Dynamics 365 provides companies additional ways to develop a connected service strategy that enables improved efficiency of service operations. As a result, ThingWorx can now tap into key features of Dynamics 365 for Field Service to enable reduced downtime and resolution of service issues faster by allowing users to schedule the right resource with the right part and information to complete the job. A typical scenario may include these steps:
1. A machine in a factory sends a sensor-initiated alert to ThingWorx
through Azure IoT indicating that it’s about to fail.
2. Automated actions are generated when ThingWorx receives IoT alerts, collects and contextualizes the alert information, and pulls relevant and supporting data from myriad systems, such as PTC’s Windchill® PLM solution.
3. A comprehensive view of the situation is presented to the service manager using ThingWorx with Dynamics 365 Field Service, including IoT data and predictive failure information.
4. Advanced scheduling capabilities in Dynamics 365 for Field Service are used to help the technician service manager assess and validate the situation and then schedule the right resource with the right skills.
5. Automated field service notifications are sent to the customer that there is an issue and that a technician is scheduled to fix the problem.
ThingWorx with Dynamics 365 Field Service also pairs PTC’s Vuforia® Studio augmented reality platform with Microsoft HoloLens, providing a robust authoring tool that enables technicians to access powerful mixed reality (MR) experiences. For example, technicians on site will now be able to use HoloLens (or other industry devices) to visualize assembly and disassembly procedures.
“IoT and mixed reality have changed how companies are building and
servicing their products. With better insights into more engineering
data, our customers can improve uptime and increase first-time fix
ThingWorx with Dynamics 365 Field Service is available now on
“When servicing a product, ThingWorx with Dynamics 365 Field Service
enables a technician to easily access detailed information from a
customer’s engineering data systems (like PLM) about the affected
equipment’s bill of materials (BOM) so that they have a quick
understanding of what parts are needed for their service visit,” said
is the next stage of the relationship announced in January between PTC
GartnerMagic Quadrant for Industrial IoT Platforms Harvard Business Review: “Why Every Organization Needs an AR Strategy,” authored by PTC CEO Jim Heppelmannand Harvard Professor Michael Porter MicrosoftBusiness Forward 2018 – Proactive Field Service Demo
About PTC (NASDAQ: PTC)
PTC helps companies around the world reinvent the way they design,
manufacture, operate, and service products in and for a smart, connected
world. In 1986 we revolutionized digital 3D design, and in 1998 were
first to market with Internet-based product lifecycle management. Today,
our leading industrial innovation platform and field-proven solutions
enable you to unlock value at the convergence of the physical and
digital worlds. With PTC, manufacturers and an ecosystem of partners and
developers can capitalize on the promise of the
PTC, LiveWorx, ThingWorx, Vuforia, Windchill, and the PTC logo are
trademarks or registered trademarks of
Jack McAvoy, 781-370-6143